It’s rather rare that I need to apply a sepia tone to any image, but every now and then I do have to. Many digital cameras offer this effect, but not always. So in the rare chance that you do need to create a sepia tone on an RGB image, here’s how to do it with Photoshop.
- Open the image in Photoshop.
- If the image is in color, go to Image > Adjust > Desaturate and skipt to step 4.
- If the image is in grayscale, go to Image > Mode > RGB Color.
- Go to Image > Adjust > Variations.
- Move the Fine <--> Course slider down one notch less than the middle.
- Click on More Yellow once.
- Click on More Red once.
- Click OK.
- Use the Save… button in the Variations dialog to save the sepia tone settings. The next time time you want to use it, just load the saved settings.
- Use Desaturate and experiment with Variations to apply ohter color tints to your photos.